The Festival Founders from Midway Renaissance named the event for Colonel John Francisco, the original owner of the property on which the city of Midway now stands. In 1835, Francisco sold his farm to the Lexington and Ohio Railroad. The L&O planned and built Midway, Kentucky’s first railroad town, so named because it is halfway between Lexington and Frankfort, the state capital. The festival premiered on the campus of Midway College (now University), in 2004. After appearances at Equus Run winery from 2011-2013, the Festival returned to the campus and has now become annual festival in May.